"I love practicing orthodontics because it allows me to become part of my patients' lives. I enjoy watching them play baseball or sing in a school play. I get to know the parents as their children come in for treatment over the years. I'm a people person and this is a great field for me. Being part of the Lake Zurich community has given my life meaning far beyond just practicing orthodontics." – Dr. Foley
Dr. Foley considers the Lake Zurich community to be a great place to live and raise your children. He is a proud father and, as a former high school teacher and basketball coach and took an active role in their education and athletic activities. Dr. Foley is a member of the Lake Zurich Alpine Runners and has coached baseball, soccer, basketball, and softball for over twenty years in school and community leagues. Currently, he is a lector at St. Francis de Sales parish. In his spare time he likes to paint with watercolors.
Dr. Foley's wife, Rita, helps manage Foley Orthodontics and enjoys theatre costume design. They have four children. John graduated from the Mayo Clinic as an orthodontist and maintains his own practice elsewhere in the Chicago suburbs. Matt is a financial software manager and writer. He and his wife, Racquel, have a son, Marcus. Kaye works as an Associate Producer in New York City and Elaine will begin college at Saint Louis University in 2014.
Education and Work Experience
Besides running a full-time practice, Dr. Foley tries to give back to his profession. He was the 2013-2014 President of the Illinois Society of Orthodontists. Each year, he is invited to be a board examiner for the American Board of Orthodontics. He is also a Clinical Professor at the Saint Louis University Center for Advanced Dental Education, where he teaches orthodontic residents once a month.
- 1973 Northern Illinois University, B.S.Ed.
- 1974-5 Taught Math and Chemistry at Oswego (IL) Senior High School
- 1980 University of Illinois College of Dentistry, D.D.S.
- 1981 U.S. Army General Practice Residency
- 1982-5 Captain in U.S. Army Dental Corps in Germany
- 1987 Saint Louis University Department of Orthodontics, M.S.D.
Memberships and Certifications
- American Association of Orthodontics
- Diplomate (Board Certified) in the American Board of Orthodontics
- College of Diplomates of the American Board of Orthodontics
- President, Illinois Society of Orthodontists 2013-2014
- Midwestern Society of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- Illinois State Dental Society
- Chicago Dental Society
- Lake Zurich Chamber of Commerce
- Founding member, Northwest Interdisciplinary Dentofacial Study Group
- Former Board Member, University of Illinois College of Dentistry Alumni Association
Publications, Presentations, and Patents
- A Study of the Position of the Parotid Papilla Relative to the Occlusal Plane, Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, January, 1985
- Table Clinic, 1983 USAREUR Dental Meeting, "An Review of the Maxillary Labial Frenectomy Procedure"
- Table Clinic, 1984 USAREUR Dental Meeting, "The Versatile Parotid Papilla --A Study of the Position of the Parotid Papilla Relative to the Occlusal Plane"
- Master's Thesis, "A Survey of Orthodontic Treatment Performed by Dental Practitioners Who Are Not Specialists in Orthodontics", Master's Thesis, Saint Louis University, 1988
- Doctor's Roundtable Discussion, "Office Design: You Don't Need to Re-Invent the Wheel", 99th Annual AAO Meeting, San Diego, May 17, 1999
- Doctor's Roundtable Discussion, "Office Design: You Don't Need to Re-Invent the Wheel", 100th Annual AAO Meeting, Chicago, May 1, 2000
- U.S. Patent, #5,944,531: An Oral Hygiene Instructional Display
- U.S. Patent, #5,779,654: Clean Breath Wand
Dr. Foley "planking" at the May Whitney School Earth Day event! The kids loved it!